Clashes between the Sudanese Army and the Rapid Support Forces (FAR) paramilitary group continued this Sunday morning in the vicinity of the Armed Forces headquarters, in downtown Khartoum, and other locations in Sudan. At least 56 civilians have been killed and nearly 600 – including civilians and members of the warring parties – injured, the Sudanese Central Medical Committee has reported.

Civilians killed by clashes in the rebellion in Sudan rise to 56


The United Nations has also reported the death of three World Food Program (WFP) workers in the country and its decision to temporarily suspend its operations. The agency’s executive director, Cindy McCain, has been “shocked and heartbroken” by the deaths of employees in Kabkabiya, northern Darfur, “while carrying out their work to save lives on the front lines of the global hunger crisis,” she said. it’s a statement.

Two other United Nations workers were injured in the same attack. This Sunday, the Sudanese Army and the paramilitaries have announced the creation of a humanitarian corridor, according to Agence France Presse, as well as a three-hour truce from 4:00 p.m. local time (2:00 p.m. GMT) and which will end at 7:00 p.m. GMT) of this same Sunday.

The clashes between the Sudanese Army and paramilitary forces have continued this Sunday for the second day in the capital, after breaking out on Saturday morning after the FAR accused the Army of attacking their positions, an action that the Armed Forces indicated occurred as a response to aggression. This Saturday, the FAR announced the seizure of the Presidential Palace and the Khartoum International Airport, but the Sudanese Army denies it.

The Armed Forces have assured in a statement that one of the towers of its headquarters in Khartoum was set on fire as a result of the fighting, in an attack that left no victims. It has also denied the FAR’s claims that they had seized that facility.

Following deceased United Nations workers

The United Nations mission in Sudan has reported this Sunday that three employees of the World Food Program (WFP) died the previous day during the clashes that broke out in North Darfur.

The representative of the mission in Sudan, Volker Perthes, has “strongly condemned the attacks against United Nations personnel” and has conveyed his condolences to the families of the victims. Perthes has also expressed “extreme concern” over “reports of shells hitting UN facilities” during the fighting.

The UN has not specified how the WFP workers died, an organization that was the target of sporadic attacks by armed groups before the rebellion broke out. Perthes also denounced that there are “reports” about “looting of UN facilities and other humanitarian facilities in various places in Darfur”, which he described as “recurring acts of violence” that “interrupt the provision of vital assistance and must end” .

Fear of even greater conflict

Given the progress of the attacks between both parties, the presidents of Egypt, Abdelfatah al Sisi, and of South Sudan, Salva Kiir, have expressed this Sunday their willingness to mediate with the Sudanese Army and the FAR.

The Egyptian Presidency has reported that Al Sisi and Kiir held a phone call in which they “expressed the willingness of Egypt and South Sudan to mediate between the Sudanese parties, since the escalation of violence will only lead to a further deterioration of the situation” , which “can get out of control”.

The African country has woken up to military planes flying over the center of Khartoum and other points east and south of the capital, while clashes continued in other towns in the country.

Army spokesman Nabil Abdullah said in a statement that the army has seized control of the Rapid Support Forces’ largest base in the Karari area, north of the town of Omdurman, and requisitioned the entire equipment belonging to the paramilitaries.

Likewise, the military would also have taken control of up to 35 FAR armored vehicles in the city of Damazin, in southeastern Sudan.

The casualty figures could rise in the last few hours as the impact of heavy fighting in the troubled western region of Darfur, in Al Fasher and Nyala, as well as in Al Obeid, in North Kordofan state, is unknown due to movement difficulties in those areas.

These clashes came after the Army warned on Thursday that the country is going through a “dangerous situation” that could lead to armed conflict, after FAR units “mobilized” in the Sudanese capital and other cities without the consent or coordination of the Armed Forces.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *