China on Friday released a document declaring its position on the political solution to the crisis in Ukraine. The full text of the document follows.
China’s Position on Political Resolution of the Crisis in Ukraine
1. Respect the sovereignty of all countries. Universally recognized international law, including the purposes and principles of the Charter of the United Nations, must be strictly observed. The sovereignty, independence and territorial integrity of all countries must be effectively defended. All countries, whether big or small, strong or weak, rich or poor, are equal members of the international community. All parties must jointly uphold the basic norms governing international relations and safeguard international fairness and justice. The equal and uniform application of international law must be promoted, while the double standard must be rejected.
2. Abandon the Cold War mentality. The security of one country should not be sought at the expense of others. The security of a region should not be achieved by strengthening or expanding military blocs. The legitimate security interests and concerns of all countries must be taken seriously and properly addressed. There is no simple solution to a complex problem. All parties, following the common, comprehensive, cooperative and sustainable security vision and keeping the world’s long-term peace and stability in mind, help to forge a balanced, effective and sustainable European security architecture. All parties must oppose the pursuit of their own security at the expense of others, avoid confrontation between blocs and work together for the peace and stability of the Eurasian continent.
3. Cease hostilities. Conflict and war benefit no one. All parties must remain rational and act with restraint, refrain from fanning the flames and escalating tensions, as well as preventing the crisis in Ukraine from deteriorating further or even spiraling out of control. All parties should support Russia and Ukraine to work in the same direction and to resume direct dialogue as soon as possible, in order to gradually de-escalate the situation and finally reach a comprehensive ceasefire.
4. Resume peace talks. Dialogue and negotiation are the only viable solution to the crisis in Ukraine. All efforts leading to a peaceful solution to the crisis must be encouraged and supported. The international community must remain committed to the right approach to promoting peace negotiations, helping the parties to the conflict to open the door to a political solution to the crisis as soon as possible, and creating conditions and platforms for the resumption of negotiations. China will continue to play a constructive role in this regard.
5. Solve the humanitarian crisis. All measures conducive to alleviating the humanitarian crisis must be encouraged and supported. Humanitarian operations must follow the principles of neutrality and impartiality, and humanitarian issues must not be politicized. The safety of civilians must be effectively protected and humanitarian corridors established for the evacuation of civilians from conflict zones. Efforts are needed to increase humanitarian assistance to relevant areas, improve humanitarian conditions and provide quick, safe and unhindered humanitarian access in order to prevent a larger scale humanitarian crisis. The UN must be supported in fulfilling its coordinating role in channeling humanitarian aid to conflict zones.
6. Protect civilians and prisoners of war. Parties to a conflict must strictly comply with international humanitarian law, avoid attacks against civilians or civilian facilities, protect women, children and other victims of conflict, and respect the basic rights of prisoners of war. China supports the exchange of prisoners of war between Russia and Ukraine and urges all parties to create more favorable conditions for this purpose.
7. Maintain the safety of nuclear power plants. China opposes armed attacks against nuclear power plants or other peaceful nuclear facilities and urges all parties to comply with international law, including the Convention on Nuclear Safety (CSN), and resolutely prevent man-made nuclear accidents. China supports the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) to play a constructive role in promoting the safety of peaceful nuclear facilities.
8. Reduce strategic risks. Nuclear weapons must not be used and nuclear wars must not be launched. The use or threat of use of nuclear weapons must be rejected. Nuclear proliferation must be prevented and the nuclear crisis averted. China opposes the research, development and use of chemical and biological weapons by any country and under any circumstances.
9. Facilitate grain exports. All parties should effectively and balancedly implement the Black Sea Grains Initiative signed by Russia, Turkey, Ukraine and the UN, as well as support the UN to play an important role in this regard. China’s proposed global food security cooperation initiative offers a workable solution to the global food crisis.
10. End unilateral sanctions. Unilateral sanctions and maximum pressure cannot resolve the problems and only create new ones. China opposes unilateral sanctions not authorized by the UN Security Council. Relevant countries should stop abusing unilateral sanctions and “long-arm jurisdiction” against other nations, in order to make their contributions to the de-escalation of the crisis in Ukraine and create conditions for the economic growth of developing countries and the improvement of the lives of its peoples.
11. Keep industrial and supply chains stable. All parties must sincerely uphold the existing world economic system and oppose the use of the global economy as a tool or weapon for political purposes. Joint efforts are needed to mitigate the spillover effects of the crisis and avoid disrupting international cooperation in energy, finance, food trade and transport, as well as undermining the global economic recovery.
12. Promote post-conflict reconstruction. The international community must take steps to support post-conflict reconstruction in conflict-affected areas. China is willing to provide assistance and play a constructive role in this effort.
Originally posted in Xinhua Portuguese
Join our WhatsApp group by clicking on this link
Join our Telegram channel, click on this link