In the early hours of Tuesday, the 26th, a serious incident shook the city of Baltimore, Maryland, when the Francis Scott Key Bridge collapsed after being hit by a container ship.

The event was recorded by monitoring cameras, generating an intensive search and rescue operation led by the local Fire Department.

According to James Wallace, chief of the Baltimore Fire Department, two victims were rescued from the river’s icy waters, one of them in serious condition.

The rescue operation continues, with divers searching for up to seven missing people. Initial reports mentioned up to twenty missing, but the exact number of individuals in the water is still being determined.

Kevin Cartwright, director of communications for the Fire Department, highlighted the seriousness of the situation. Rescue teams use drones with infrared cameras and sonar to search for the missing. The water temperature, approximately 9ºC, puts victims at risk of hypothermia.

At the time of the accident, vehicles, including a large trailer, were on the bridge, and traffic was immediately stopped.

The Maryland Transportation Authority closed all roads near the bridge, and naval traffic in the Port of Baltimore was suspended, with no plans to resume.

The container ship involved, identified as Dali and operated by Synergy under the Singapore flag, was destined for Sri Lanka. Measuring 300 meters long and 48 meters wide, the ship was in service with Maersk, according to information from CNN.

Maryland Governor Wes Moore declared a state of emergency and received support from US Secretary of Transportation Pete Buttigieg, who contacted local authorities.

The Baltimore police, after preliminary investigations, reported that there is no evidence of a terrorist act or that the collision was intentional.

Reports from ABC News suggest the ship lost propulsion while maneuvering to leave port.

Opened in 1977, the Francis Scott Key Bridge is a crucial structure for the region, stretching nearly 2 miles and including a drawbridge.

It not only serves as an important link in the city but also carries historical value, named after the author of the poem that inspired the United States national anthem.

Authorities continue to investigate the incident and work on search and rescue operations, while the local community and victims’ families await news.

With information from G1


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *